8.06.2008

I DO believe in fairies, um I mean, serendipity

Serendipity has to be one of my favorite words. Merriam-Webster defines it as the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for.

A couple of days ago, I walked into the daycare center to pick him up my son and I walked out with a job. Phenomenal. Valuable. Agreeable. Really not sought for.

I'm not kidding. A job - my dream job, no less. There wasn't a position available but my skills (and personality, I guess) convinced the power that be (someone I was referred to because the person I was originally sent to happened to be out of the office) that a position needed to be created for me. And I'll still be able to do my own writing because it's part time.

Phenomenal.

This has given me an idea... I'm going to record serendipity - even the smallest expression of it - in my own life and those around me. I also want to track the times I have thought positive thoughts and so created positive situations, or when I have made authentic decisions which have in turn brought about authentic outcomes.

Yesterday, I wrote about our move to Mississippi. For whatever reason, when we were packing up to move, despite the butterflies that had taken up residence in my belly, I somehow knew it was going to be OK. I kept saying, "I just want to know why we're being lead in this direction." A year into our move, I was still asking this question even as I was teaching a journal workshop, meeting amazing friends, and writing more than I had in years. Oh...that's why!

We trusted our intuition (which leads us to make authentic decisions) and the outcome was in our favor. I'm not implying our life has been all peachy keen, not at all! During this same time period we had some disastrous real estate problems that almost put us into bankruptcy, we went through Hurricane Katrina (or rather she went through our roof), and I had a miscarriage. Those are the details. But big picture - as my sister-in-law would say - s'all good!

I had given up on getting a job so I was concentrating on what I knew best. I didn't know how we were going to pay our heating bill... I do now!

Phenomenal. Serendipity.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: