12.18.2008

1991 called


I think I have mentioned before that I am addicted to planners. Not a bad addiction when you consider the options. But I fear I am woefully out of date (pun intended).

I watched the movie 27 Dresses where the main character Jane, played by Katherine Heigl, is a perpetual bridesmaid and wedding planner for her friends. She scribbles all her bridesmaidenly tasks in a dayplanner, which, when left in a cab is the cause of much distress and missed appointments. I relate... I would sit on my rump, head cocked sideways staring at the floor not having a clue what to do next if I mislaid my planner. My daughter has a book about some creature who makes a list of what he has to do that day but when it blows away in a wind gust he is helpless. When his friend suggests they look for the list he refuses because that wasn't on his list of things to do. I'm not quite that bad but if I accomplish something that wasn't on my to-do list I will write it down just so I can experience the pleasure of checking it off - a far more healthy obessesive trait, I believe.

Anyway, back to the movie... when the love interest in the movie finds Jane's planner, making fun of her, he says something about 1990-something wanting its planner back. At the end of the movie when they are all kissy-kissy and she has thrown out her closet-full of dresses (and symbolically, her past), he gives her some electronic, very 21st century, planning gizmo.

Now, before watching this movie I had no feelings of inferiority surrounding my complete dedication to the paper and pen method of time-management. In fact, I wondered why these very-berry thingy-ma-jigs were so popular - what was the point? But suddenly, I am questioning my whole life and its so-called efficiency. Why exactly do I carry around a 5lb tome when I could have a slick, clicky thing that fits in my pocket... and it's a phone too! Now, there's true efficiency for ya.

But I don't have a blackberry, or even a strawberry for that matter, and I probably won't have for a very long time (well. maybe I will in 2038 when everyone else has their daily schedule implanted behind their eyelids).

But continue to plan I must.

So, it was with resignation I ordered a Franklin-Covey designed especially for busy mothers. But when it arrived, its pink and brown mommy-ness and unmarked pages laying flat and shiny waiting for my life to fill its lines, reminded me why I love them. Yes, it's heavy and not as fun or multi-taskerific as a handheld computer/phone/camera/music player/kitchen sink but until 2038 when my grandaughter's discarded device is passed on to me, my planner and I will continue to make plans the good old fashioned way.

------

As an addendum to this story - when I opened my new planner and inhaled its scent in true addict fashion, my husband, who in true male fashion hates gift shopping, says to me, you better wrap that thing up and put it under the tree, it might the only thing you get. I think I deserve a blackberry after that comment... or at least a new cuddly sweater.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Tara said...

OMG I LOVE planners. I don't even care, we can write in our planners and listen to Lisa Stansfield or something -- because I love planners. I love the thought of a planner though, because January gets all the press, February hmmm not so much, then by March, forget it. May as well be a pretty paperweight. I do love them though.

Jess said...

I don't like to do the digital thing either. I need to physically write down everything and see it all laid out. My life revolves aroundy my desk calendar.

p.s. That story would be from Frog & Toad's book. My fave. I just read it to Carter...he's not into it yet. :)

Susan Marie said...

I, too, love planners. I had a PDA for a former job (pre-Blackberry, of course) and thought I'd love it. But no. There is something about the the heft and feel of old-school planners that makes me feel secure and settled. I'll take a Franklin-Covey (my favorite!) over an I-touch or Storm or whatever.

Oh, and I can truly empathize with you about those husbands not into gift-shopping. I have one of those, too.

joanna said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Maybe there should a PA - Plannerolics Anonymous :)

withani said...

hee hee! i'm with ya on the planner thing too j-lucy! i'm all excited about my 2009 one b/c it has an elastic band that wraps around it to hold in all the frayed pages, receipts, post-it notes, etc!!! and it's cute too! ;-)