9.09.2009

One smokin' hot fireman!

Call it luck. Call it coincidence. I call it Mother's Intuition.

Last night I was sogged out on the couch watching TV. I have to admit that once the silence has descended that only sleeping children can bring, the corner of the couch is usually my first - and last - stop before bed. It is here I pay the bills, write my blog, go through paperwork, and of course, eat ice cream.

But last night for no particular reason, I suddenly decided to get off my lazy butt and brush my teeth during a commercial. When upstairs I saw Tator's door was closed and the light still on. So I went in to turn it off. As I reached for the light I realized there was something red on top of the lamp. At first I couldn't identify what I was looking at or that anything was overly amiss, but when I reached for the item I figured out what I was looking at - and what was happening.

The red plastic fireman was slowly melting onto the hot bulb (we hadn't yet converted this lamp to the energy-saver ones). I turned off the lamp and pried the gooey, slightly smoking mess off the bulb.

As I looked at my peacefully sleeping little boy, covers thrown off and padded bottom up in air, the could-have-beens began whirling around my head and my heart started pounding. Why had I come upstairs early? The extra half hour I would normally have been downstairs with eyes glued to the box could have been enough time to turn the smoke to flame. And with his door closed to curb the constant trips downstairs... it's too much to contemplate.

Intuition. Can't explain it. Don't discount it!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Stuff On My Blog said...

Oh wow.. thank goodness for *whatever* it was that caused you to be in the right place at the right time!

RaisingSmartGirls said...

I hope you are okay. My sister recently had a kitchen fire and it was really frightening.

And there was a fire at my neighbor's house not too long ago.

Too many fire/potential fire incidents happening lately. :(

Good thing you decided to follow your instincts!

eastkentuckygal said...

Wow! It's so true though. Our intuition is a gift. We need to pay more attention to it. I've learned that lesson the hard way. I'm glad things were alright.

Susan Marie said...

How incredible--incredibly scary and incredible that some sort of intuition caused you to be there just then.

Had something similar happen a year or so ago. We had an older style toaster oven that was somehow turned on in the middle of the night--with a thick pile of plastic page protectors and papers on top. I woke up in the middle of the night (around 3:00) and realized my laundry (for work) never made it to the dryer. As I walked downstairs to take care of that, I noticed the smell of burning plastic and paper. The plastic sheet thingies had melted all over the oven, and the papers were just starting to burn---with flames and everything. Scary!